Many lawyers nowadays have problems luring in new clients due to the increasing number of professionals in the industry. Without a proper business marketing plan, any law firm won’t see any positive business development or end up wasting time on the wrong business activities. There are even law firms that are not able to get any chance of meeting potential clients due to poor marketing.
This article will list some of the most effective law firm marketing examples. These tips are based on numerous quantitative and qualitative research that reputable marketing companies conducted. Since marketing nowadays are primarily focused online, the list includes some of the most effective online marketing strategies that can help any law firm achieve great results promptly.
Law Firm Marketing Examples
1. Dedicate at least 2.5% of your revenue on marketing
Note that the salaries of the marketing people you hired to do marketing work are not yet included. The 2.5% only covers the money you spent on taking clients out to lunch, generating new business and other marketing strategies. If you are not spending, at least, that amount, you are not doing serious marketing. The 2.5% of your revenue can go a long way if the marketing strategy is done well.
2. Don’t invest in any marketing method that is not measurable
Although advertising and public relations can still be considered as effective marketing platforms, there is no way to quantitatively measure if the marketing method you deployed generated any results. With that in mind, it is recommended to go with online marketing methods such as putting up a blog and social media accounts. These online marketing platforms come with built-in reports, metrics, and lead tracking. This way, you can measure your progress along the way.
3. Put a video on your website
A lot of lawyers have missed out the opportunity to market themselves by integrating video content on their website. Video content websites generate a large amount of traffic on a daily basis. Around thirty percent of the internet-goers find video content. Tapping on this huge amount of traffic can provide you with the opportunity to present how you talk, how you look and what you are like as a professional in your field. It is a great way to look more attractive to your potential clients.
4. Invest most of your marketing efforts on your existing client
While finding new clients is important for the law firm to generate additional revenue, note that it is much easier to open a new file from an existing client rather than from a brand new client. Again, this type of marketing technique is something that can be measured as you can check how many times the lawyer from your firm visited the client and how many times they shared lunch together.
If your law firm conducted an event, it is best to keep track of all their contact information and check on the reports how many of these people were converted into clients. The bottom line in any marketing efforts is that you can figure out how you are going to measure your progress. If you are unable to do so, you have no way of knowing which one works and which one does not.
These are just some of the law firm marketing examples. These examples are not set in stone as there are a plethora of ways in marketing a law firm. With the advent of the internet, the possibilities are endless as you can market your business to a wider audience.
Legal services are always in demand. And in a wide array of great lawyers and experienced law firms ready to assist you, legal or law firm marketing can be an arduous task. However, it is not a necessity to spend a lot of money on marketing your practice. You just need a detailed marketing plan with activities targeting a specific audience and consistent implementation all the way through.
Here are some of the practitioners, consultants and marketing tacticians’ most successful strategies and best practices for law firm marketing — modest, cost-efficient, and effective.
1. Build up your website.
In the age where social media is all the rage and everything you want to know is at your fingertips, setting up your website will deliver incredible publicity. Law firm websites are venues to promote a law firm’s experiences and track record, as well as the attorneys’ biographies and expertise. In a recent study, almost 90% of potential clients check on law firm websites to review and evaluate lawyers’ biographies before appointment or acquisition of legal service. It is then important to build up your websites like you are building up your credibility. Write about practice-related blogs. Always add content of new, fresh, and original topics. Make it short and simple, yet informative and interesting.
Putting videos on your website is another good opportunity to introduce yourself; present the way you talk and look in an appealing, credible way so you can draw more attention from potential clients.
2. Engage referrals and cultivate them.
Business starts when there is a client and clients make any business develop. Direct clients are the ones who seek your service and those who already trust you and love your work. But for you to cultivate your client base, you have to tell them that you would welcome new work and would appreciate if they can send some your way. Opening a new file for a current client is much easier than looking for a brand-new client.
Aside from your direct clients, referral sources are also worth nurturing. If you can arrange a meeting over a cup of coffee with three to five potential referral sources a week, you will go a long way. Some even organize dinners for friends and acquaintances to strengthen or broaden their networks. The people you meet at business receptions, bar association events, or even on your vacations could be your long-term contacts for your business. As long as you are clear with the work you do and tell them you would appreciate them sending business to you, be prepared to attend to any of their immediate needs even if they are not related to your practice.
3. Write down your business plan.
Your list will comprise of the things you have done and those still to be done. It is significant to include the names of your target clients, the time frame you want to meet them and the expected result of the meeting. Revise your business plans when needed as new ideas can come around anytime.
4. Evaluate and track down results.
Law firm marketing results are measured ultimately on the number of clients who employ you, but in between, one should systematize tracking their result and measuring the degree of the business plan’s success. For example, in a day, assess the number of clients you’ve met or contacts that have been added to your inventory. Measuring goals can be subjective as to rating a meeting for a proposal. Either way, evaluating your results shall guide you to the next steps you need to take for your business.
Writing your business plan for the first time can be very challenging. It takes more than just pen and paper; it comes with much dedication for a plan to work. Just keep it simple, straightforward, and attainable — and given your present resources, remember to maximize everything you have. Lastly, give it time to progress. Investing time in any business ensures a sweet harvest.
A lot of law firms are not getting continuous flow of clients and files just because they don’t do sufficient business development activities that will expose them to potential clients. Below are some tips on how to do law firm marketing effectively:
1. Spend at least 2.5% to 3% of your gross revenues on marketing – to properly market your law firm, it is important to allot sufficient budget on marketing expenses first. Mostly, this money will be spent on taking clients out to lunch, generating new business, visiting clients and other direct marketing activities that will help you introduce your firm directly to potential clients.
2. Upload a video to your website – In this age when the Internet has become an almost necessary part of our lives, putting vital information and excellent portfolio in your law firm’s website is the way to go. Most portal visitors will also most likely look for any video that will give them an idea of how you look, how you talk and what your law firm is like. Therefore, recording a video and uploading it to your website is the best opportunity to make yourself more attractive to potential clients.
3. Cultivate referral sources – Many lawyers get their business and clients from referrals, and that is a good thing, but it doesn’t just always happen by itself. The lawyers who get these referrals are those who constantly cultivate them. It’s always best to start with your current clients. After impressing them, tell them what kind of work or cases you are looking for and let them refer you to other potential clients they know.
4. Join a trade association and be active – Joining a trade association, not a bar association will give you an opportunity to interact directly and market yourself in a room full of clients who can potentially hire you. You can learn about these trade associations by asking your present clients what meetings they usually go to. And remember that simply going to any trade association’s meeting is not enough, you need to be visible.
One of your main goals is to get on the board of directors, seek out the president and try to volunteer to help with the newsletter, assist in putting programs together, or just to help in any kind of activity that will lead you to a board position.
5. Survey your clients – The most successful companies in the world always conduct an annual, if not quarterly, a satisfaction survey of their product of service. Start by appointing someone to follow up with your clients and ask them several specific questions about their experience regarding the service your law firm provided. Find out what they liked the most, disliked the most as well as what fell short of their expectations.
6. Do brainstorming in your firm – Lastly, you can call the employees together for a brainstorming meeting to get ideas on how your firm can generate sales leads, raise its profile and get more involved in the community.