A lot of law firms are not getting continuous flow of clients and files just because they don’t do sufficient business development activities that will expose them to potential clients. Below are some tips on how to do law firm marketing effectively:
1. Spend at least 2.5% to 3% of your gross revenues on marketing – to properly market your law firm, it is important to allot sufficient budget on marketing expenses first. Mostly, this money will be spent on taking clients out to lunch, generating new business, visiting clients and other direct marketing activities that will help you introduce your firm directly to potential clients.
2. Upload a video to your website – In this age when the Internet has become an almost necessary part of our lives, putting vital information and excellent portfolio in your law firm’s website is the way to go. Most portal visitors will also most likely look for any video that will give them an idea of how you look, how you talk and what your law firm is like. Therefore, recording a video and uploading it to your website is the best opportunity to make yourself more attractive to potential clients.
3. Cultivate referral sources – Many lawyers get their business and clients from referrals, and that is a good thing, but it doesn’t just always happen by itself. The lawyers who get these referrals are those who constantly cultivate them. It’s always best to start with your current clients. After impressing them, tell them what kind of work or cases you are looking for and let them refer you to other potential clients they know.
4. Join a trade association and be active – Joining a trade association, not a bar association will give you an opportunity to interact directly and market yourself in a room full of clients who can potentially hire you. You can learn about these trade associations by asking your present clients what meetings they usually go to. And remember that simply going to any trade association’s meeting is not enough, you need to be visible.
One of your main goals is to get on the board of directors, seek out the president and try to volunteer to help with the newsletter, assist in putting programs together, or just to help in any kind of activity that will lead you to a board position.
5. Survey your clients – The most successful companies in the world always conduct an annual, if not quarterly, a satisfaction survey of their product of service. Start by appointing someone to follow up with your clients and ask them several specific questions about their experience regarding the service your law firm provided. Find out what they liked the most, disliked the most as well as what fell short of their expectations.
6. Do brainstorming in your firm – Lastly, you can call the employees together for a brainstorming meeting to get ideas on how your firm can generate sales leads, raise its profile and get more involved in the community.