Many lawyers nowadays have problems luring in new clients due to the increasing number of professionals in the industry. Without a proper business marketing plan, any law firm won’t see any positive business development or end up wasting time on the wrong business activities. There are even law firms that are not able to get any chance of meeting potential clients due to poor marketing.
This article will list some of the most effective law firm marketing examples. These tips are based on numerous quantitative and qualitative research that reputable marketing companies conducted. Since marketing nowadays are primarily focused online, the list includes some of the most effective online marketing strategies that can help any law firm achieve great results promptly.
Law Firm Marketing Examples
1. Dedicate at least 2.5% of your revenue on marketing
Note that the salaries of the marketing people you hired to do marketing work are not yet included. The 2.5% only covers the money you spent on taking clients out to lunch, generating new business and other marketing strategies. If you are not spending, at least, that amount, you are not doing serious marketing. The 2.5% of your revenue can go a long way if the marketing strategy is done well.
2. Don’t invest in any marketing method that is not measurable
Although advertising and public relations can still be considered as effective marketing platforms, there is no way to quantitatively measure if the marketing method you deployed generated any results. With that in mind, it is recommended to go with online marketing methods such as putting up a blog and social media accounts. These online marketing platforms come with built-in reports, metrics, and lead tracking. This way, you can measure your progress along the way.
3. Put a video on your website
A lot of lawyers have missed out the opportunity to market themselves by integrating video content on their website. Video content websites generate a large amount of traffic on a daily basis. Around thirty percent of the internet-goers find video content. Tapping on this huge amount of traffic can provide you with the opportunity to present how you talk, how you look and what you are like as a professional in your field. It is a great way to look more attractive to your potential clients.
4. Invest most of your marketing efforts on your existing client
While finding new clients is important for the law firm to generate additional revenue, note that it is much easier to open a new file from an existing client rather than from a brand new client. Again, this type of marketing technique is something that can be measured as you can check how many times the lawyer from your firm visited the client and how many times they shared lunch together.
If your law firm conducted an event, it is best to keep track of all their contact information and check on the reports how many of these people were converted into clients. The bottom line in any marketing efforts is that you can figure out how you are going to measure your progress. If you are unable to do so, you have no way of knowing which one works and which one does not.
These are just some of the law firm marketing examples. These examples are not set in stone as there are a plethora of ways in marketing a law firm. With the advent of the internet, the possibilities are endless as you can market your business to a wider audience.
The practice of law and legal jurisprudence is one the most crucial jobs necessary for the peaceful existence of any society. Lawyering is one of many professional acts whose positive results and repercussions are felt in a very wide range. To wit, saving an innocent man in court is also saving the people dependent on him. In the same light, one who makes a judge or jury acquit a serial killer could have sentenced many other innocent lives to jail — or even death. Every case a lawyer takes is a risk to his credibility and name. So if it is an extremely difficult task for one lawyer to create and maintain a good name in his field, it should come as no surprise that the development of an effective law firm marketing strategy is an even harder undertaking.
But as soon as one analyzes the extremities that lawyering entails, the key to an effective law firm marketing strategy becomes apparent. And that is to portray the law firm and the people in it as the epitome of perfect balance — strong and competent but also socially responsible and ethical. Anyone who faces charges or lawsuits filed against him naturally feels the need to have a dependable law firm behind his back. For a firm to create such an image, the following actions should be conducted:
1) Build a stronghold. First impressions last. Make sure that the first thing clients know about the firm imprints a positive view of it. In other words, the names on the wall, the top-notch lawyers, and the best of the best should be the faces of the firm. Show them that the roots are strong, and there would be no doubt that the rest of the tree shall stand. Show them that the firm stands sturdy on the ground and clients will not hesitate to hire the firm and its services.
2) Keep a timeline of favorable events. Keep a track of the good records — the hardest cases, the controversial cases, and the most human and touching cases. Select those which could be disclosed without legal compromises, and pick the details that would simply show how the firm wins the case. Needless to say, all cases to be showed should be the ones the firm won. After all, there would be no need for a firm to broadcast the mistakes it has done, for that would be the competitors’ job.
3) Be socially responsible and involved. Law firm marketing shall find a good use for different strategies, but one that would stand out the most is the appeal to emotion. Every law firm is expected to have several pro bono cases. The purpose, perhaps, is to make sure the lawyers remain human in spite of the problems and workload they have to endure every day. A good marketing strategy for the firm, then, is to do simply more than that. It could conduct events where the gentler side of lawyers are showcased, like an activity where they will provide free legal advice to many people in several communities.
4) Expand the horizon. Utilize technology and manpower to let people know that the law firm gloriously exists. Create an online site where one could access necessary details to be able to contact your firm. A site is also a great avenue for showcasing the timeline of favorable events about the firm. To ensure stability and consistency, hire and assign a person who will manage the website and keep it updated.
Legal services are always in demand. And in a wide array of great lawyers and experienced law firms ready to assist you, legal or law firm marketing can be an arduous task. However, it is not a necessity to spend a lot of money on marketing your practice. You just need a detailed marketing plan with activities targeting a specific audience and consistent implementation all the way through.
Here are some of the practitioners, consultants and marketing tacticians’ most successful strategies and best practices for law firm marketing — modest, cost-efficient, and effective.
1. Build up your website.
In the age where social media is all the rage and everything you want to know is at your fingertips, setting up your website will deliver incredible publicity. Law firm websites are venues to promote a law firm’s experiences and track record, as well as the attorneys’ biographies and expertise. In a recent study, almost 90% of potential clients check on law firm websites to review and evaluate lawyers’ biographies before appointment or acquisition of legal service. It is then important to build up your websites like you are building up your credibility. Write about practice-related blogs. Always add content of new, fresh, and original topics. Make it short and simple, yet informative and interesting.
Putting videos on your website is another good opportunity to introduce yourself; present the way you talk and look in an appealing, credible way so you can draw more attention from potential clients.
2. Engage referrals and cultivate them.
Business starts when there is a client and clients make any business develop. Direct clients are the ones who seek your service and those who already trust you and love your work. But for you to cultivate your client base, you have to tell them that you would welcome new work and would appreciate if they can send some your way. Opening a new file for a current client is much easier than looking for a brand-new client.
Aside from your direct clients, referral sources are also worth nurturing. If you can arrange a meeting over a cup of coffee with three to five potential referral sources a week, you will go a long way. Some even organize dinners for friends and acquaintances to strengthen or broaden their networks. The people you meet at business receptions, bar association events, or even on your vacations could be your long-term contacts for your business. As long as you are clear with the work you do and tell them you would appreciate them sending business to you, be prepared to attend to any of their immediate needs even if they are not related to your practice.
3. Write down your business plan.
Your list will comprise of the things you have done and those still to be done. It is significant to include the names of your target clients, the time frame you want to meet them and the expected result of the meeting. Revise your business plans when needed as new ideas can come around anytime.
4. Evaluate and track down results.
Law firm marketing results are measured ultimately on the number of clients who employ you, but in between, one should systematize tracking their result and measuring the degree of the business plan’s success. For example, in a day, assess the number of clients you’ve met or contacts that have been added to your inventory. Measuring goals can be subjective as to rating a meeting for a proposal. Either way, evaluating your results shall guide you to the next steps you need to take for your business.
Writing your business plan for the first time can be very challenging. It takes more than just pen and paper; it comes with much dedication for a plan to work. Just keep it simple, straightforward, and attainable — and given your present resources, remember to maximize everything you have. Lastly, give it time to progress. Investing time in any business ensures a sweet harvest.
A lot of law firms are not getting continuous flow of clients and files just because they don’t do sufficient business development activities that will expose them to potential clients. Below are some tips on how to do law firm marketing effectively:
1. Spend at least 2.5% to 3% of your gross revenues on marketing – to properly market your law firm, it is important to allot sufficient budget on marketing expenses first. Mostly, this money will be spent on taking clients out to lunch, generating new business, visiting clients and other direct marketing activities that will help you introduce your firm directly to potential clients.
2. Upload a video to your website – In this age when the Internet has become an almost necessary part of our lives, putting vital information and excellent portfolio in your law firm’s website is the way to go. Most portal visitors will also most likely look for any video that will give them an idea of how you look, how you talk and what your law firm is like. Therefore, recording a video and uploading it to your website is the best opportunity to make yourself more attractive to potential clients.
3. Cultivate referral sources – Many lawyers get their business and clients from referrals, and that is a good thing, but it doesn’t just always happen by itself. The lawyers who get these referrals are those who constantly cultivate them. It’s always best to start with your current clients. After impressing them, tell them what kind of work or cases you are looking for and let them refer you to other potential clients they know.
4. Join a trade association and be active – Joining a trade association, not a bar association will give you an opportunity to interact directly and market yourself in a room full of clients who can potentially hire you. You can learn about these trade associations by asking your present clients what meetings they usually go to. And remember that simply going to any trade association’s meeting is not enough, you need to be visible.
One of your main goals is to get on the board of directors, seek out the president and try to volunteer to help with the newsletter, assist in putting programs together, or just to help in any kind of activity that will lead you to a board position.
5. Survey your clients – The most successful companies in the world always conduct an annual, if not quarterly, a satisfaction survey of their product of service. Start by appointing someone to follow up with your clients and ask them several specific questions about their experience regarding the service your law firm provided. Find out what they liked the most, disliked the most as well as what fell short of their expectations.
6. Do brainstorming in your firm – Lastly, you can call the employees together for a brainstorming meeting to get ideas on how your firm can generate sales leads, raise its profile and get more involved in the community.
Gone are the days when law firms rely on word of mouth or reputation alone. If you want to increase your billable hours and your firm’s revenue, you have to get acquainted with the top trends in law firm marketing.
1. Every law firm must have a website.
A website is now an indispensable part of law firm marketing. Studies show that 77% of law firms generate their leads from their website. So, if you want to increase the popularity of your law firm and increase its revenue, you have to invest in a website. But, having a website is not enough. Your website must be professional-looking, and it should represent your firm well. You must also provide the following information on your website’s homepage:
Your area of practice (litigation, corporate law, transportation law, etc.)
2. Invest in an SEO expert.
Most people find lawyers through search engines like Yahoo and Google. So, if you want to increase your presence on search engines, it would be a good idea to invest in an SEO expert. SEO experts can help improve your website’s visibility on search engines so it will be easier for potential clients to find you.
3. Legal Blogging
If you want to establish yourself as an expert in a particular legal field, you have to start a legal blog. This will showcase your knowledge and it will increase your firm’s popularity. But, make sure to post entries regularly. Marketing experts recommend that you should blog at least three times a week. Remember that content is king. So, if you want to attract new business leads through your blog, you have to provide informative, useful, and intelligent content.
4. Use Review Sites to Your Advantage
Many potential clients check review sites such as personalinjury.com, Google+, and Avvo before hiring a lawyer. So, if you have satisfied clients, encourage them to write a good review about your firm.
5. Use of CRM technology
We all know that attracting a new client will cost a lot more than retaining an existing one. CRM or Client Relationship Management is a technology that you can use to manage your clients and create a unique and different experience for each of them. This tool will help increase the client satisfaction and experience.
6. Social Media Marketing
If you want to increase the popularity of your law firm, you must have a strong social media presence. One of the great things about social media marketing is that it is almost free. You can simply create a free account on Facebook and Twitter. Having dedicated social media accounts for your law firm will allow you to interact with your potential clients on a regular basis. You can also answer some legal questions through Twitter and Facebook; this will entice potential clients to hire you.
Remember that almost everything’s digital nowadays. So, if you want to increase your firm’s revenue and sign up new clients, it is best to take your firm promotion to a whole new level with these hot trends in law firm marketing.